Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My favorite holiday -- Thanksgiving -- is almost here!!!



I love gathering with my family every thanksgiving. It is a tradition that my grandfather started many years ago.

I do not have my own memories of my grandfather, but I do have my mother's stories. According to my mother, I adored my grandfather and he adored me. He enjoyed playing with me and I loved to cuddle on his lap. I have seen pictures of him, and those images are imprinted on my mind and heart. He is bigger than life. My grandfather made his transition when I was only two years old but he has left a lasting impression on me and my family.

My grandfather loved his wife and children. He loved family. He enjoyed seeing many faces gathered around a table full of home-cooked food. It is for this reason that his children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren continue to gather at Thanksgiving. We come together from near and far. We leave our homes in Georgia, Illinois, and Virginia so that we can reflect, remember and celebrate our family, our traditions, and our love for all the blessings the Creator has bestowed upon us.

This Thanksgiving season we will all gather in Virginia. I have the honor of hosting thanksgiving in my home this year. It will be only the second time my family has hosted thanksgiving in Virginia. The first time was four year ago.

The menu this year is so yummy. It includes:
Orange roasted Turkey
Jerked Turkey
Holiday baked Ham
Standing Rib roast
Chi-town Lasagna
Mississippi Greens
Alabama Fried Corn
Southern Potato Salad
Supreme Mac and Cheese
Orleans Salmon and Shrimp
Mashed Potatoes
Candied Yams
Homemade rolls and corn bread
Yummy Dressing (not to be mistaken as stuffing)

Desert:
Butter Pecan Crisp
Holiday Fruit Pie
Sweet potato pies
Lemon pound cake
Granny Smith Apple pie

OMG how good does that menu look. And...just in case you were wondering I am not doing all the cooking. All of the ladies get in the kitchen on Wednesday and start cooking -- together. That is one of my favorite parts. I love all the hips and butts bumping into each other, the stories, the laughter -- the circle of sisterhood.

I hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday full of love and laughter. Let me know what is on your menu this year.

HUGS
Wendi

4 comments:

glo.riah said...

what a yummy menu!!
i need to get my list together!!

Wati Basri said...

wow...look at the yummy list!!
i don't celebrate Thanksgiving...but with that kinda of food...don't mind joing :)

Vee said...

wow, now that is a menu, yum!! ;)

Susie Q said...

Oh wow. I should have been at YOUR table!! That is a delicious menu!

We had turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, glazed carrots, green bean casserole (made with a twist),
corn, rolls, 5 cup salad (marshmallows, pineapple, mandarin oranges, pecans and coconut, cranberries, a tray of olives, celery and carrots, broccoli and radishes and dip, sweet potatoes and 4 kinds of pie!

Grace always thinks it is the *best*!! : )

I am glad your day was sweet!

Hugs,
Sue